VACANCY NOTICE NO: 2282
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION:
14 February 2024
Assistant Scientific Officer
COMMENCEMENT OF DUTY
To be determined
NATURE OF APPOINTMENT
World Climate Research (WCR) Division
Science and Innovation Department
| WMO is committed to achieving diversity and a balanced workforce. Applications are welcome from qualified women and men, including those with disabilities. The statutory retirement age after 1 January 2014 is 65. For external applicants, only those who are expected to complete the term of appointment will normally be considered.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the guidance of the Head of the World Climate Research Division, and the direct supervision of the Science and Communications Officer, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Produce science communication materials including a high-level WCRP Brochure, WCRP Achievements publications, regular newsletters, and other key publications;
2. Work with the Science and Communications Officer on a new WCRP Communications Strategy;
3. Produce content for the WCRP website and new WCRP Academy website and the WCRP pages on the WMO website, as well as for social media platforms, to disseminate news and events in close collaboration with the WMO Strategic Communications Office;
4. Provide logistical support to meetings and activities of the WCRP Lighthouse Activities (www.wcrp-climate.org/lha-overview);
5. Support cross-department communication and outreach activities, including providing WCRP inputs to SI Department briefs, events, and other communications products;
6. Any other duties as required, including general office support to the WCRP Secretariat.
University degree or equivalent in environmental sciences, science (natural or social) or communications.
A minimum of one year experience in communications, journalism, or a related industry. Excellent knowledge of website content management systems, social media platforms and graphics editing and design (Adobe creative cloud; Canva) software is required. Experience in writing and editing reports, articles, or other texts (in English) is required. Proficient knowledge and experience of using common audio and video software applications is strongly desirable.
A sense of integrity, responsibility, maturity of judgement, initiative, and creativity. Excellent analytical, data management, communication, presentation and interpersonal skills. Proven experience to analyze, model and interpret data. Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to foster diversity and team spirit.
Excellent knowledge of English (both oral and written). Knowledge of other official languages of the Organization would be an advantage.
(Note: The official languages of the Organization are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.)
|The Secretary-General may appoint a candidate at a grade below the advertised grade of the post, with the possibility of promotion to that grade within three years of appointment, subject to satisfactory appraisal of performance.
Possibility of renewal subject to the availability of funds and pending satisfactory performance after an initial probationary period of one year which can be extended up to a maximum of two years.
|SALARY AND ALLOWANCES
Annual net base salary on initial appointment is: US$ 39401
Annual post adjustment on initial salary is: US$ 33609 (in addition to the net base salary)
Only applicants in whom WMO has a further interest will be contacted.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit a written assessment and/or an interview.
|Date of issue of vacancy notice:
17 January 2024
This vacancy is shown for viewing only. Please follow instructions within the announcement if it is open for application.